Monday, October 03, 2005

Ram

S. Ramasubramaniam’s entries

Bicycle Rider

The arrival of bus services in the village of Lalgudi was an unexpected blow for Raju. This meant that Vadivel Ayya would not take him to school in his bicycle anymore.

Vadivel Ayya had served in the army till he lost his right eye.

“ It was not so bad as losing an arm or leg…but the girl who was supposed to marry me did not think so…However, strangely I could not cry even when my mother passed away…So the eye took away all my sorrows as well…”, Ayya had once said to Raju.

Initially, Raju was afraid of the one-eyed army man. The first day of the ride, he was so afraid that he had got fever in school. Slowly however he saw the warmth behind the tough exterior. Ayya took good care of Raju. Thanks to him, Raju came to know about the latest gossip in the town and this added a lot of prestige amongst his friends.

Now, after four years Raju and Ayya were about to be separated.

In the far distance Ayya was receiving his settlement from father. Raju was stunned with what he saw.

Tears were streaming down his left eye.

Hide and Seek

“I want to play Hide and Seek with you”, said Raju to the kids in the street

“No, you don’t belong to our group. You are too small to play”, the leader of the group exclaimed. There was a general murmur which suggested that the group seemed to agree.

“Let him play”, they heard Ram’s father say. As they were playing in his compound, they had to let Raju play.

The game started and it was Ram’s turn first to seek. He counted hundred while the others hid in places in and around the compound.

Raju hid in a small tool room in the car shed.

Half an hour passed, Raju was feeling thrilled. They were unable to catch him. They would have to concede defeat.

An hour had already passed and Raju was feeling elated. He decided that it was time to tell them what he thought about their inability to catch him.He had braved insect bites, oil smell and cobwebs. Now, in future they cannot refuse to let him play. He went crawling to the compound wall. He got up cautiously and peered out of his hiding place.

All the boys were playing cricket seriously.

The Bargain

Mother sounded agitated.

“Ponni, Listen, the maximum I can give you for this poor quality brinjal is Rs. 8 per kg. which is twice than what they are worth.”

“Mother, you are the Bhonee (first sale for the day) and Iam ready to sell at Rs. 10 per kg but I cannot reduce any further”, pleaded Ponni.

“When I go to the market they tell me half of the rates you quote. I see no reason why I let you continue to loot me like this”

Ponni got up. “Sorry, I bought these brinjals for Rs. 8. Iam going”

“Okay, Okay” said my mother hastily. “The final rate is Rs. 9 per kg and let me hand pick the brinjals. Also, Give me a handful of coriander free.”

My mother went triumphantly into the house and announced, “I have saved around Rs. 15 today. I don’t know what will happen to this house, if I don’t slog around”

“Mother, Iam leaving” said Ponni and positioned her basket on the head.

“Oh! Ponni, Wait a minute”, Mother came back running.

“Here is Rs. 200 for your child’s medical treatment. Let me know if you need something else also”


Personal Decisions…

Sekar appealed to the Principal “Sir, My father is waiting outside your room. I have been told that Iam suspended for a week. May I know why?.”

“I will tell you why, Sekar. In our college, students do not smoke cigarettes in front of a professor like you did yesterday”,said his Physics professor seated nearby.

“But Sir, Smoking a cigarette is a personal decision. In fact I never noticed that you were there Sir.”

“No, Our College produces prime ministers and supreme court judges. I cannot let a student of this institution to smoke a cigarette in front of his professor. Go out and Send your father inside!”, the Principal thundered.

Waiting outside, Sekar knew that his father never forgave easily and this incident would strain their relationship forever. “He would never trust me again”, he thought.

Father come out slowly. He seemed hurt and angry.

“Iam sorry father, I have failed you”, cried Sekar.

” No, Son, This incident is not about you …It is a reflection upon me…Iam sorry…. I have no right to criticize …Let me promise you that I will not smoke again. Never”, he said throwing a Marlboro packet into the dustbin.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ram's bargain gets my vote for the 3rd place.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Premalatha said...

I don't believe the bargain story. I would believe they spent 200 to go to a cinema hall and bargained for one rupee with the vegetable lady story, because this is what is actually happening. Cat closing its eyes doesn't make the world go dark.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Premalatha said...

I think the message is wrong in bargain story.

buying things cheaper and then giving them money (evne if it is true, though i don't believe), makes them feel like beggars. instead if we just buy for whatever the price they are selling it, it might boost their confidence that they have sold it successfully.

Have you seen homeless people selling "Big issue"?

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hide and seek = games at twilight by anita desai, with different names.

dont know how no one else has noticed it yet.

9:30 PM  
Blogger LAK said...

I loved the bargain story. Haggling for the veggies has to do with gettig your money's worth. Or putting it the other way round, if the veggies are worth only Rs8 or 9, then that's what they should fetch. Once having finished the "business" part, the lady of the house switches to "personal" mode and shows her sympathy in a practical way by giving the veg seller money. If she thinks of showing her sympathy by paying more for the veggies, the veg woman won't understand--she'll just feel that this lady is a mug!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home