Monday, October 03, 2005

Varun

Varun’s entry

The Childhood Race

I watched the kid run; windbeater that he was. Naked slim waist upwards, he started his race from one end of the potholed street to the other regardless of the other runners, pushing them one by one into the sidelines. I did the same during my childhood race.

With a hundred yards to go his pace slackened and the bully caught up. “Hai! Hai!” I cried and punched the empty space before me giving him a boost using which he surged ahead-yet again! Arms pumping up and down with innocent fury, the desire to win burning bright in his russet eyes, the twelve year old sped along like a road runner-On towards the finish, just like I had done.

Perchance I scanned the finish line and found an ugly stone, the same ugly stone, just before it and screamed “Watch out.”

Today he did. During my day, I did not.

He jerked and twisted his entire hip just in time to avoid that stone which I did not see during my childhood race.

He won. Back then, I only fell.

With wild ecstasy and a tinge of jealousy, I rolled my wheel chair noisily, painfully forward to hug my hero.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic narration.i loved the way you havecompared and brought out the human emotional aspect.when i read it i could imagine the whole sequence ,the expressions along with the motive and the point you needed to make, i could sense it while it.

1:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U are a great story teller !!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home