Monday, October 03, 2005

Mahesh

Mahesh's entry

Childhood

Rajan stood watching them play – he, the one who could not run about like them all. He, who didn’t have to pay attention to what his teacher was saying in class because he didn’t need to; he, who could have told you what the largest twin primes less than thousand were even when abruptly woken up. Such was his fate. He resigned himself to watching them. The unexpected happened.
One of the boys looked at Rajan, and decided it would be to his own advantage if he were to persuade the others to let Rajan join the game. He knew cricket was not a game that kids afflicted with polio could really play, but he thought he would try as well since he definitely needed Rajan’s help in preparing for the rapidly-approaching exams. At any rate, he had nothing to lose.
He spoke to the captain of the other team. Since they were both good friends, they asked Rajan if he was interested in joining them. His eyes lit up as he nodded. They told him he could only be the umpire. He agreed gleefully. After all, being part of their group, even as a non-player was much, much better than not being included at all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mahesh

This story is a major deja-vu for me.
I see myself in Rajan.

PS: It's how it started before I started playing for my school team and minor league. I And yeah..my leg was affected with polio.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mahesh,

This deserves the 2nd prize. A practical arrangement for both the parties...a novel ending.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rajan reminded me of the character kachra in lagaan.I liked the simplicity cause I cud sense Rajan's elation that now he was finally one of the gang...

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home